October 2, 2007

Harvest Conference on a shoestring


We have been with the Harvest Evangelism Conference now for 4 days. It is so exciting to be with other believers from all over the world, praying for our nations and learning what it looks like to be so intimate with God that He begins to give you strategy and vision. The Lord has been speaking to our hearts in many ways, there is much we hope to bring home from this time. Instead of trying to cover all we have experienced we would like to share one encounter with you.

The second day of the conference was spent in jail. Our whole group visited Christ the Only Hope Prison in La Plata. This is a prison that has become entirely sold out for the Lord... the inmates are all Christians, and so are the guards. There has been an incredible revival in the prison system of Argentina, and we were told that over 9000 prisoners in the region of La Plata are now believers! In fact, all of the security guards that have been watching over us during this conference are ex-prisoners, turned into sold-out men for God! (who better to know if people are trying to steal from us, huh?) It has been a blessing to have them minister to us and pray for us.


Our trip to the prison was not to bring Jesus to the inmates, as most Christian trips to prisons are, but to allow them to show us how they worship in the prison. We had church with them. Throughout the day, the one thing that I (Tina) was so aware of was the birds. I know that sounds silly, but as we stood in the courtyard of the jail, I was so tuned in to the birds flying over us. There were some times when worship was so powerful and I would all of a sudden notice how these huge flocks of birds would soar beautifully overhead and land right on top of the prison. At other times, they would all soar together off the roof and land somewhere else, but it was as if they were choosing to stay close to the prison and be a part of the worship. It was, to me, such a cool symbol of FREEDOM. These birds had the freedom to go where they wanted and they flew so beautifully and gracefully. As I looked around at the faces of the prisoners, and as they prayed for me and blessed me, I sensed the same freedom in them. They had found a freedom in Christ that was beyond explanation! I read something yesterday that reminded me of these amazing prisoners: God does not see us as we see ourselves, He sees us as so much more. While we look at ourselves and see our past failures, He looks at us and sees our future victories. These men did not live in the guilt of their former lives, but were truly set free and were understanding the purposes for which they were created. Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom... and the Spirit was in Christ the Only Hope Prison!

(All of the pictures in this post are from the prison)

P.S. Thank you to all who have been praying for my health. I am feeling much better today!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Tina,
This is truly an amazing and touching story...I can't imagine how it must have felt being there experiences it first hand. I am sure this is only one of many times when the Lord is going to be so powerful you feel like he is sitting on your shoulder. I hope you continue to feel better, we continue to pray for your save adventures.

Love,
Danielle & Jimmy

James and Paige said...

Compleanno Felice Cole!!!!
(Happy Birthday in Italian)
We miss you so much! Hope you are having the best birthday ever in Italy! We love you!
James and Paige

Unknown said...

Cole and Tina,

Awesome stuff - You are going to come back so full and ready to give out. Tina, so glad you are feeling better! Continue to ask for health to be fully restored!
We miss you all!

Love, Al and Jan

Barbara Nelson said...

HEY AMBLERS!! I am SO excited to hear about your experiences!! Visiting the Prisons were the highlight of my adventures too. I AM GOING TO ITALY - I leave Friday! I will be in Bologna but going to Florence for a 1/2 day Monday. I will send you an email too - not sure how you are communicating.

Mama nana Lisa said...

a crazy fun thing happened to me yesterday -- a friend of a friend brought her friend who brought a pastor from India by to pick up art for the nations bags to take back to an orphanage for handicapped children in Hydreabad! He knows exactly where you two will be with the Dalit freedom people there and would like you to contact him so he can show you around (and he has five brothers who are pastors in India) Anyway his name is Timothy Sathuluri, email: tsathuluriimd@msn.com, cell phone:9391366377 or 011-91-998-926-6377 (international). He really felt like it was a divine appointment that we met and wants to meet and help you two in any way he can. He said he could even pick you up from the airport! (crazy good, you keep getting help from people who drop by my house!) love you