A week in Italy has come and gone. Italy was amazing... Rome, Florence, and Cinque Terre. Of the three I (Cole) most enjoyed Cinque Terre - mostly for its "adventure" aspect. Rome and Florence were tourism overload - though I leave those places feeling more cultured. Our time in Cinque Terre was filled with explorations of the Mediterranean coast. Somewhere around 16km of ground covered trekking through the rocky hills as we made our way through all five of the Cinque Terre (= 5 villages). Our arrival in the final village awarded us with a dip in the cool Mediterranean Sea.
Some thoughts and reflections on Italy:
* To get coffee in Italy, you go to a Bar, where a)you're charged extra if you sit at a table and, b) it's not normal to order coffee with any sort of cream except in the morning (and by coffee, I mean straight expresso).
* Streets in Italy are primarily one-way. Not only this, it's common for them to be one-way in a certain direction and then for a few blocks one-way in the other direction. We experienced this first hand as we rented a scooter for a day in Rome.
* In Italy, dinner is best enjoyed starting at 8:30 or so, and then with at least 4 courses (and a drink to go with each course)
Now, here is a recounting of the "wonderful" happenings of our final hours in Italy. We were driving down from Cinque Terre and pulling into the Rome area (about a 5 hour drive)
P.S. While walking around Rome, there were a million pigeons flying over our heads one day. About 2 minutes after Tina said "I hate when birds fly overhead! They better not poop on me!"... guess what happened. Poop all over her shoulder! I thought it was hilarious... until about 5 minutes later, I got hit too. It's like they were aiming for us!
P.P.S. We are now safely in Kenya and loving it. More to come about our time here. But Tina was welcomed to the country by getting peed on by a dog.
P.P.P.S. This computer is having trouble uploading photos, so that is all you get for now!
3 comments:
Cole and Tina...So fun to read your stories of Italy - Sounds like you had some frustrating/funny experiences. My in-laws are in Italy right now too - celebrating their 30th anniversary! I wonder if you crossed paths without even realizing it! :) Miss you both!!!!
T - Mer's wedding was really beautiful, we missed you though! Court's belly is huge! :)
It is so wonderful to hear a little bit about your adventures. I will be praying that your time is Kenya is problem free. You had me laughing out loud in my office picturing the bird poos! And poor Tina getting peed on by a dog-at least it wasn't my Bijou this time. Love you!
Paige
Cole and Tina...you've both been on my heart so much - finally got to just sit here and read of your adventures so far...thanks for vicariously taking me (all of us!) with you - I've got to get to some of these places myself SOON!! Till then, big time JOY, love, peace, power and protection over you BOTH!
FOR MORE!
Lynne
Post a Comment